Open Water Scuba Instructor
PADI Instructor Development Course
Are you looking for something extraordinary? To do something others can only dream of? To help people transform their lives? To open doors you didn’t even know existed? All of this, and more, awaits you as a PADI Scuba Instructor.
The IDC program is a minimum of four days. It introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
The Fun Part
It’s about life transformations, both yours and those around you.
The fun part of instructor training is interacting with course participants while creating friendships that continue long after the course concludes.
You’ll begin networking with other professionals and begin to explore PADI Pro Diving Jobs worldwide. You’ll also have the opportunity to continue your professional education by participating in specialty instructor courses, which train you to teach specialties after instructor certification.
Get College Credit
You may be able to earn college credit for the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course.
The Challenging Part
The challenging part of this course is your personal commitment to the training. The course requires you to complete all the self-study Knowledge Reviews before the course begins and to prepare daily assignments for teaching presentations daily. Organization and dedication are key.
To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving to participate in the Instructor Development Course. You’ll need 100 logged dives to take the Instructor Exams
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
The Learning Materials You Need
The PADI Instructor Development Course crew pack includes nearly all the materials needed to prepare for the Instructor Development Course. The 16-item pack includes:
PADI Instructor Manual
PADI’s Guide to Teaching*
PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual*
Open Water Diver Course Prescriptive Lesson Guides*
PADI Open Water Diver Manual
Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet*
Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate* (Recommend 2)
Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate* (Recommend 2)
PADI Adventures in Diving Manual (current version)
PADI Rescue Diver Manual (current version)
Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet*
PADI Divemaster Manual (current version)
Divemaster Final Exams booklet*
Diving Knowledge Workbook* (Completed) and eRecord for Dive Theory Online
The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving*
Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving*
Recreational Dive Planner RDP Table and eRDPML, including Instructions for Use booklets
How to Use and Choose Dive Computers book
Positive Approach Selling DVD*
Items included in IDC Crew Pack are in BOLD *
To purchase these products, contact a Beach Cities Scuba Dive Center near you.
What You Will Do
You will attend and participate in the following 10 curriculum presentations. These subjects are taught by the IDC Staff Team in the classroom.
- Course Orientation
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Conducting Open Water Dives
- General Standards and Procedures (Part 2)
- Open Water Diver Course
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Risk Management (Part 2)
The following subjects are available online for your convenience and must be completed prior to the start of the IDC:
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- General Standards and Procedures (Part 1)
- Risk Management (Part 1)
- Marketing Diving
- Start Diving
- Teaching PADI Specialty Diver Courses
- Business of Diving
- Keep Diving
- How to Teach the RDP
During the course you will also know how to apply the PADI System of Education by preparing and presenting at least:
- Two Knowledge Development Presentations
- Two Confined Water Presentations
- One Open Water Presentation Integrating Two Skills
You will also demonstrate competence at:
- Performing a face down, non-stop swim for 800 yards using a mask, fins, and snorkel
- Performing all 24 skills listed on the Divemaster Skills Evaluation at the Instructor level
- Passing a five-part Dive Theory exam scoring 75% or higher on each part. This must also be done on-line.
- Passing the General Standards and Procedures exam in the classroom scoring 75% or higher and reviewing missed questions to realize 100% mastery.
Click on the below links to view the latest schedules!
Interested? Sign up here and we’ll get in contact with you!
What You Can Teach
After becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor, you will be able to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster. You may also choose to acquire specialty instructor ratings in areas of interest, such as Digital Underwater Photographer orEnriched Air Diver.
At a glance, compare what you can teach when you continue your professional diver education.
The Scuba Gear You Use
Check with one of our 5 Convenient Locations to purchase equipment needed for the course.
Your Next Adventure:
You’ll want to continue your professional training by completing courses that allow you to teach beyond the core courses. For example, Emergency Oxygen Provider Instructor, Emergency First Response Instructor, and specialty instructor courses complement your Open Water Scuba Instructor rating and add to your professional portfolio.
Click which of our five convenient locations you want to learn at below and sign up right now!